Pimples or acne are tiny skin lesions or inflammations of the skin. They are commonly caused by clogged or infected pores. They may appear as deeper lumps (cysts or nodules) on the face, neck, chest, back and sometimes shoulders.
Severe acne can affect many facets of a person’s life, causing a great deal of embarrassment and stress. Some severe forms of acne like acne cysts may rupture and cause scars that can result in psychological effects on the sufferer. Having skin full of pimples and zits may significantly limit one’s social life. Although acne is not considered to be a life threatening disorder, the psychological impact of acne can be quite profound as it affects the most visible parts of your body.
If your acne condition is severe it can cause disfiguring and require years of treatment. In such cases seeking the help of a qualified dermatologist will be your best option.
Causes of acne
The cause of pimples is unknown. The process by which a pimple develops is highly intricate. While we do know that a pore collapses on itself and blocks sebum (oil) from escaping, we do not fully understand why this process takes place in one sebaceous gland versus another.
But the causes of adult acne and teen acne may include the following:
- Evolutionary biology
- Vitamin deficiency
Possible measures you can take to prevent pimples are:
- Relax regularly for a certain period of time. Your body restores and refreshes skin cells while you are relaxing. Teenagers are notorious for not getting rest but it is essential in helping to prevent pimples.
- Do not squeeze or pick at pimples because this has the risk of producing a more severe infection.
- After you exercise take a shower so that the sweat does not contribute to clogging your pores and producing another pimple outbreak.
- Wear clean white t-shirts to help keep pimple off your back. The white t-shirts tend to absorb the excess oils in your skin and will help to prevent pimple on your back at least.
- Before going to bed, clean off any makeup. Again, the key here is to keep your pores clear of oil and bacteria and help prevent pimple outbreaks. After washing, you can use a cleaning solution on your skin containing what is known as Salicylic Acid.